The Field Machinist is responsible for facilitating machining projects and repairs. Various levels of knowledge and abilities in the Essential Functions listed below are required and will determine job placement. Specific knowledge needed is dependent upon the individual departments within the company.
Job placement will be based on knowledge, skills, and abilities in accordance with the following guidelines, including prior experience:
· Apprentice I: Basic understanding of mechanical tools, service procedures and welding concepts. Experience: Certificate from Technical school, one year of previous experience working on industrial trucks/heavy equipment, or possess a strong mechanical and machining aptitude.
· Apprentice II: Basic component identification and understanding the functions of various
Caterpillar mechanical systems and ability to perform various machining tasks such as complete simple jobs, meet spec requirements, demonstrate basic welding skills and perform basic welding procedure. Experience: Two years of previous heavy equipment/machining experience.
· Field: Competent in all machining tasks and understand the processes, troubleshooting, and basic repair of various Caterpillar equipment. Experience: Minimum four years of previous machine shop experience 2 of which include heavy equipment experience.
· Master: Complete understanding and the advanced ability to troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair various Caterpillar mechanical systems Can troubleshoot and function as a machinist with no direction and/or assistance. Must be able to mentor new employees and help train apprentices. Experience: Minimum ten years of previous machining experience 7 of which include heavy equipment experience.
The level of knowledge and performance expectations for all functions and skills will be outlined in greater detail in the Wyoming Machinery Company Employee Development Program.
· Plan, organize and facilitate jobs as assigned, including print reading and interpretation.
· Audit equipment for potential repairs.
· Trouble shoot jobs and equipment needed to complete jobs.
· Utilize knowledge of trigonometry, geometry and metric conversion to complete calculations encountered on different jobs.
· Create and facilitate projects to completion, including any related paperwork or service reports.
· Communicate plans and projects effectively to other employees, training them if necessary.
· Safely use rigging and lifting equipment.
· Travel to sites with overnight stays.
· Assist in special projects as needed.
· Answer telephone calls.
· Complete service reports and maintain records.
· Participate and occasionally lead safety meetings.
· Provide daily progress updates to supervisor and dispatchers.
· High school education or equivalent.
· Minimum of five (5) years of experience in the trade.
· Knowledgeable in various areas, including gearing, bearings, seals, bushings, and hydraulics.
· Able to effectively use stationary and portable boring equipment and machine tools as well as multiple other types of tooling to meet specific job needs.
· Understand and utilize tools for set up and layout work.
· Able to align gear cases and motors.
· Possess appropriate tools per the Machinist Tool List.
· Proficient in welding and cutting of all types.
· Possess a proficient understanding of metallurgy and its application to machining.
· Able to heat-treat parts.
· Proficient in testing the hardness of materials.
· Able to use N.D.T (Magnetic particle and die penetrant).
· Able to level and use of Brunson equipment, and balancing components.
· General understanding of mechanical assemblies.
· Technical schooling or on-the-job maintenance planning training.
· Exposed to dirt, grease, dust, noise, chemicals, paints and other elements.
· Exposed to extreme temperatures.
· Heavy lifting – up to 50 lbs.
· Prolonged walking, sitting and standing.
· Working in elevated position, climbing, bending, stooping, and pulling.
· Use of all necessary personal protective equipment.
· Use hands for simple grasping, pushing, pulling and fine manipulation.
· Use feet frequently in repetitive movement.
· May require travel, overtime and varying schedules.
This job description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described and may be amended at any time with or without notice at the sole discretion of the Employer. Wyoming Machinery Company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
In the United States, you can also text “dealertechjobs” to 97211.
Anywhere in the world you can search for jobs on your local Cat dealer website. Click “Find Dealer”