The Field Service Supervisor manages the customer repair process, including the oversight, management and coordination of service work, and is the primary customer contact through the life of the repair. This role is also responsible for the growth and development of assigned technicians. Five years experience working on heavy equipment and one year previous supervisory experience is required.
• Supervises employees. Performs annual performance reviews, oversees the development and administration of employee development plans and recommends compensation increases. Administers discipline; has authority to hire employees.
• Completes assigned technician’s annual performance appraisals on or before their anniversary dates.
• Functions as primary point of contact for customers seeking service work. Answers and directs incoming Service calls.
• Performs all sales functions (quotes, estimates, bids, etc.) for incoming phone calls and walk-in customers needing service work.
• Qualifies the repair needs with the customer and collects the necessary information needed to accurately create a quote or estimate of repair.
• Works closely with Service Pricing Group to provide an estimate or quote to the customer in adherence with Customer Care Standards.
• Discounts shop labor rates to gain business as necessary.
• Meets typical annual target of 22% PAD (may vary year over year) for annual profitability of the team and the store.
• Works with field technicians to gain customer consent for quoted or estimated work prior to the repair.
• Meets final repair performance versus quoted amounts expectations of on or under quote.
• Manages marketing campaigns in partnership with Product Support Sales Representatives (PSSRs) that are designed to drive business into their assigned areas.
• Works closely with PSSRs and other department’s sales representatives (General Line, CAT Rental, Engine, etc.) to coordinate service opportunities in their assigned areas.
• Evaluates all Warranty, Policy, and Service update issues that may be required for the particular type of machine being repaired.
• Presents initial quote or estimate for work required to the customer and any ongoing changes to gain consent to move forward with the repair.
• Adds, deletes or otherwise manages the different elements of a work order during the repair process, including: segments, charge codes, job notes, etc.
• Uses the Service scheduling tool to schedule and maintain all aspects of the repair in the field and the shop specific to assigned team members and area.
• Performs all necessary work functions in Microsoft A/X specific to the work order process by creating, maintaining and closing all work orders.
• Coordinates with Field Technicians to ensure all job stories are accurately added to the work order prior to invoice
• Owns responsibility for the productivity of the technicians assigned to the team.
• Will be measured by and held accountable for invoicing service calls according to WIP turns metric.
• Coordinates the usage, rental or purchase of special tooling needed to perform repair work.
• Provides frequent communication of service status updates for each customer, as well as research, fact-finding, resolution and follow-up of customer questions and concerns so that nothing come as a surprise to the customers. Provides advice related to replace versus repair options.
• Contacts the customer, after input from the Technician, with any up-sell items and explains the issue; then either gains consent to perform the work or directs technician to proceed without doing the work.
• Discounts, credits and re-issues customer invoices as needed to ensure customer satisfaction
• Makes internal policy decisions for the Service Department and will work with other departments to ensure the policy expenses from their areas are allocated to the appropriate internal accounts.
• Meets the break-even goal for all goodwill and warranty decisions and the variance of those policy and warranty accounts at the end of the year.
• Approves employees’ work time and adjusts employee time on work orders as needed
• Works directly with Field Technicians to ensure quality control measures have been effectively deployed.
• Works with centralized functions concerning warranty, goodwill, policy, technical communications and any other relevant items associated with timely completion of the repair.
• Finalizes all repair work by contacting the customer, reviewing the invoice in detail, and gaining consent to close.
• Follows up with customers post repair to gauge customer satisfaction
• Adheres to all customer care standards.
• Actively cares and advocates safety at Western States. Adheres to and promotes all applicable safety policies, procedures and standards.
• May accomplish training and serve as a team member in support of Western States’ strategic programs, projects, and initiatives.
• Works within and promote corporate vision, mission, and values of the organization.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge and use of Microsoft computer products or other comparable systems required.
• Knowledge or ability to learn Microsoft AX, Infocast, and Sales Link.
• Proven conflict resolution skills.
• Proven skills in written and verbal communications, planning, organizing, leadership and interpersonal relationship building.
• Ability to set and manage priorities.
• Must be a self starter and able to work without supervision.
• Consistent attendance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Proof of high school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
• Associates Degree from an accredited vocational school preferred.
• Five years minimum experience working on heavy equipment required. Caterpillar environment with hydraulic, engine and power-train experience preferred.
• Minimum of one year previous supervisory experience required.
• Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record required.
• Must be able to communicate (speak, read, comprehend, write in English).
• Must be able to sit for long periods of time along with walking, standing, climbing stairs, reaching pushing, pulling, leaning and twisting.
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
• Must be able to meet all safety requirements for applicable safety policies.
In the United States, you can also text “dealertechjobs” to 97211.
Anywhere in the world you can search for jobs on your local Cat dealer website. Click “Find Dealer”