Efficiently diagnose any mechanical, hydraulic, or electrical problems and proficiently repair any model Caterpillar engine or machine. Various levels of knowledge and abilities in the Essential Functions listed below are required and will determine job placement. Specific knowledge needed is dependent upon the individual departments within the company.
Job placement will be based on knowledge, skills, and abilities in accordance with the following guidelines, including prior experience:
• Apprentice I: Basic understanding of mechanical tools and service procedures. Experience: 1 year of experience in working on heavy equipment or possess a strong mechanical aptitude.
• Apprentice II: Basic component identification, understanding the functions of various
Caterpillar mechanical systems and ability to perform various mechanical procedures.
Experience: Certificate from a Trade School and/or 2 years of heavy equipment experience.
• Field: Understand the operation, troubleshooting, and repair of various Caterpillar mechanical systems and can troubleshoot and function as a technician with little or no direction and/or assistance. Experience: Minimum four years of previous heavy equipment experience.
• Master: Complete understanding and the advanced ability to troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair various Caterpillar mechanical systems. Can troubleshoot and function as a technician with no direction and/or assistance. Must be able to mentor new employees and help train apprentices. Experience: Minimum ten years of previous heavy equipment experience.
The level of knowledge and performance expectations for all functions and skills will be outlined in greater detail in the Wyoming Machinery Company Employee Development Program.
• Valid Driver’s License
• Visually inspects and troubleshoots customer's equipment and use diagnostic equipment to proficiently determine problems or malfunctions
• Regularly removes repairs or replaces components or piece parts on engines, hydraulic systems, brake systems, electrical systems, on-board diagnostic systems, air systems, fuel systems, transmissions and related power train systems
• All repairs must meet or exceed the expectations of the Field Service Supervisor and the customer
• Regularly reviews data from the trouble shooting and inspection process to work up detailed, accurate and cost effective job estimates
• Regularly reviews data from the troubleshooting and inspection process to work up detailed and accurate parts orders
• Ability to properly start and safely operate all Caterpillar products
• Must demonstrate above average discipline in properly completing and submitting all paperwork associated with the work they have performed within 24 hours of completing that portion of the job
• Some examples include: service reports, labor hour information, DOT logs and expense reports
• Must demonstrate prompt, thorough, safe completion of all duties required of the position
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Perform basic service procedures such as checking fluid levels and changing filters.
• Identify various fasteners and their uses.
• Identify and describe the importance of shop and personal safety equipment.
• Demonstrate ability to identify and understand the use of basic hand tools.
• Basic computer skills.
• Recognize and identify basic mechanical components
• Experience performing maintenance and repair on multiple types of construction/mining equipment, power systems, an heavy industrial/diesel engines and hydraulic systems
• Direct experience with Caterpillar equipment preferred
• Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License
• Prolonged walking, sitting, standing, climbing, bending, stooping, squatting working in elevated position.
• Frequent use of hands for simple grasping, pushing, pulling and fine manipulating tools/objects, and writing/typing.
• Walking on un-level ground with many slip, trip and fall hazards.
• Frequent exposure to extreme temperatures and adverse weather conditions.
• Frequent exposure to substances including but not limited to: water, mud, dirt, grease, dust, industrial chemicals, and hydraulic fluids.
• Frequent exposure to loud noises.
• Heavy lifting up to 50 lbs.
• Use of all necessary personal protective equipment.
• Operate a company vehicle requiring a valid driver’s license (driving record must meet company insurance standards and is reviewed annually).
• Overtime, varying schedules, extensive travel and overnight stays away from home may be required.
This job description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described and may be amended at any time with or without notice at the sole discretion of the Employer. Wyoming Machinery Company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
In the United States, you can also text “dealertechjobs” to 97211.
Anywhere in the world you can search for jobs on your local Cat dealer website. Click “Find Dealer”