SUCCESS AT WESTERN STATES: Western State’s culture is based on passion for our Vision, Mission, and VALUES. We are fiercely committed to SAFETY and sending every employee, safely home, every day. We strive for EXCELLENCE in all we do and are proud to be a “play to win” organization. We act with INTEGRITY in each and every decision we make. Our People and TEAMWORK drive a fun and engaging culture. We are ACCOUNTABLE as individuals and as an organization.
JOB SUMMARY: The General Manager, Product Support Sales is responsible for the creation and the execution of Product Support Sales strategies in alignment with our Services Growth Agenda. Primary responsibilities include the oversight and performance of the Product Support Sales Team to include supervising Regional Sales Managers, strategic direction setting, achieving Product Support Sales goals, and fostering teamwork throughout Western States Equipment Company and Caterpillar. This role will also serve as a primary point of contact between WSECO and Caterpillar as it relates to applicable elements of our Services Growth Strategy.
- Actively cares, promotes, manages, and advocates safety at Western States. As a leader and team member in the organization, it is critical to ensure all employees, vendors, and clients have a safe work environment while adhering to all applicable safety policies, procedures, and standards.
- Maintains clean/clutter free personal work areas to ensure safe environments for all WSECO employees.
- Adhering to required personal protective equipment (PPE) as identified in safety policy.
Strategy and Execution:
- Works closely with Caterpillar to develop and implement initiatives designed to grow our parts and labor share in the Construction Industries segment of business.
- Directs the creation of development plans with Regional Leaders for the product support sales team addressing growth and coverage areas. Ensures training opportunities are addressed and that plan goals are met within established guidelines.
- Develops sales goals and objectives for the Product Support Sales Team by leveraging information from OLGA (Opportunity Lead Generation Analyzer), including PSEs (Prioritized Service Events).
- Collaborates with our Marketing team to create relevant WSECO marketing initiatives. Ensures marketing initiatives are being implemented and identify areas of focus to meet sales objectives with Vice President, Parts and Vice President, Service
- Works closely with all operating areas of Western States in order to provide all available options to customers and meet sales and financial goals.
- Creates culture of positive motivation, winning attitudes and teamwork.
- Adheres to all customer care standards.
- May accomplish training and serve as a team member in support of Western States’ strategic programs, projects, and initiatives.
- Works within and promotes corporate vision, mission, and values of the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Oversees the development of an effective Product Support Sales team to include hiring, supervision, annual performance appraisals, training and development. Administers discipline; authority to hire and terminate employees.
- Ensures that sales goals, percentage of parts sales (POPS) goals, percentage of labor sales (POLS) goals, coverage levels and sales development is in place to successfully achieve WSECO Product Support sales strategies.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of the strategic account plans. Verifies that plans are S.M.A.R.T. and that they address opportunities to improve customer partnerships. Evaluates strategic account plans regularly to ensure they are current and are on track to achieve desired results.
- Conducts regularly scheduled visitation with Key Accounts and Strategic Growth Accounts with Product Support Sales Representatives (PSSRs) and Regional Managers. Ensures the sales team is utilizing the WSECO Sales Formula for Success principles.
- Manages annual budget. Updates and revises budget yearly in accordance with company guidelines. Manages expenses.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to develop and maintain product knowledge of Caterpillar and Western States products
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Ability to quickly identify problems, approach work from a solution-based focus and develop creative solutions to complex issues.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft or other comparable systems required.
- Ability to travel overnight.
- Consistent attendance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proof of high school diploma or General Education Degree (GED). Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field preferred.
- At least 2 years of progressive experience in managing a team of remote employees in a sales function and/or department within a Caterpillar dealership or comparable type business required.
- Proof of driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
- Must be able to communicate (speak, read, comprehend, write in English.)
- Ability to stand for long periods of time along with walking, sitting, repetitive climbing stairs, reaching (including but not limited to above-shoulder reaching), repetitive bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, leaning and twisting.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs. in accordance with Western States’ Lifting Policy to include amount and approach.
- Must be able to meet all safety requirements for applicable safety policies.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. It is not intended be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this classification.