The Heavy Haul Route Driver delivers and picks up equipment and attachments to and from Western States locations on a defined route using a Class 8 truck with Step-Deck trailer. Driver will cover long distances throughout Western States’ territory, maintains company truck and trailer for proper operating condition, and schedules necessary repairs.
• Pickups and delivers equipment and attachments as assigned on defined route throughout Western States’ territory (interstate) on a timely and routine basis using a Class 8 truck with step-deck trailer.
• Determines most efficient route based on load weight, road, and traffic conditions.
• Instructs customers on proper equipment use and safety procedures.
• Builds customer relationships. Sells Heavy Haul services to customers for pickup and delivery services to ensure loads are full. Works with Heavy Haul Dispatcher to get customers needs scheduled.
• Completes status updates using dispatching software, trip envelopes and bill of lading, as required.
• Loads and unloads equipment onto trailer. Follows all safety requirements to ensure equipment is secured properly.
• Maintains a Driver’s Electronic Log Book as required by DOT regulations.
• Follows DOT rules and regulations regarding oversize loads and permits. Administers daily inspection requirements. Meets all DOT driver qualifications rules and regulations. Maintains current CDL.
• Completes documents for invoice closeout at the end of each haul.
• Monitors trip permits, overweight and length permits. Ensures proper documentation is on hand during haul.
• Maintains company truck and trailer appearance and mechanical condition. Schedules necessary repairs, washes and polishes as necessary.
• Reports any delays due to breakdowns, weather or traffic conditions or other emergencies, or in the event of irregularities relating to pickup or delivery of equipment.
• Reports all accidents and incidents involving drivers or company equipment. Reports highway safety hazards noted in route.
• Works irregular work schedule which includes overnight, long trips away from base location, short notice for assignment of trips, and tight delivery schedules.
• Route Driver will be away from base location a minimum of (3) nights per week. Driver is expected to utilize sleeper while away from base location.
• Adheres to all customer care standards.
• Actively cares and advocates safety at Western States. Adhere to all applicable safety policies, procedures and standards.
• May accomplish training and serve as a team member in support of Western States’ strategic programs, projects, and initiatives.
• Work within and promote corporate vision, mission, and values of the organization.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Working knowledge of Caterpillar equipment and diesel trucks and trailers.
• Knowledge of DOT legal requirements.
• Knowledge of permitting oversized loads and routing.
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal communication skills required.
• Knowledge and use of Microsoft computer products or other comparable systems required.
• Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision required.
• Ability to work overtime with minimal notice required.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others.
• Consistent attendance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Proof of high school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
• One year Step-Deck & Lowboy experience delivering similar equipment; knowledge of permitting oversize loads and routing required.
• Knowledge of light construction equipment usage and operation & mechanical ability required.
• Excellent driving record with current Class A - CDL license and DOT physical card required.
• Must be able to communicate (speak, read, comprehend, write in English).
• Must be able to stand for long periods of time along with walking, sitting, climbing stairs, reaching pushing, pulling, leaning and twisting.
• Must be able to lift 75 pounds.
• Must be able to meet all safety requirements for applicable safety policies.
In the United States, you can also text “dealertechjobs” to 97211.
Anywhere in the world you can search for jobs on your local Cat dealer website. Click “Find Dealer”