The MARC Field Welder repairs structural frame cracks on heavy mining equipment frames and dump bodies. Various levels of knowledge and abilities in the Essential Functions listed below are required and will determine job placement. Specific knowledge needed is dependent upon the individual departments within the company.
Job placement will be based on knowledge, skills, and abilities in accordance with the following guidelines, including prior experience:
· Apprentice I: Basic understanding of mechanical tools, service procedures and welding processes. Experience: 1 year of experience in working on heavy equipment or possess a strong mechanical and welding aptitude.
· Apprentice II: Basic component identification and understanding the functions of various
Caterpillar mechanical systems and ability to perform various welding procedures.
Experience: Certificate from a Trade School and/or 2 years of welding/heavy equipment experience and can pass a weld test.
· Field: Understand the operation, troubleshooting, and repair of various Caterpillar mechanical systems and can troubleshoot and function as a welder with little or no direction and/or assistance. Experience: Minimum four years of previous welding experience 2 of which include heavy equipment experience.
· Master: Complete understanding and the advanced ability to troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair various Caterpillar mechanical systems Can troubleshoot and function as a welder with no direction and/or assistance. Must be able to mentor new employees and help train apprentices. Experience: Minimum ten years of previous welding experience 7 of which include heavy equipment experience.
The level of knowledge and performance expectations for all functions and skills will be outlined in greater detail in the Wyoming Machinery Company Employee Development Program.
· Regularly write detailed and accurate service reports stating the nature of the job and what has been done
· Record accurate data, as this relates to measurements of bores and length and depth of cracks
· Follow Caterpillar specifications on maintaining specific requirements of bore diameter measurements, along with specific CAT welding procedures
· Some travel may be required with extended overnight stays
· High school diploma or equivalent
· Driver’s license in good standing
· Detail-oriented in documentation as accuracy is a key part of the daily job
· American Welding Society D1.1 certification and/or equivalent work experience outlined in the Job Summary level.
· Able to read, write and understand English
· Able to read and understand parts books, Caterpillar specification information, service manuals, fabrication blueprints following ANSI, SAE, and/or Caterpillar blueprint standards, and schematics
· Able to hand sketch drawings legibly enough to follow to perform repairs and help in the estimate process
· Able to think and work through difficult projects and problems
· Mechanical ability to diagnose and assess equipment to fabricate repairs
· Knowledgeable in various areas, including gearing, bearings, seals, bushings, and hydraulics
· Proficient in layout, fit-up and fabrication
· Possess and maintain certifications in 8000, 270, Stick and Hardwire
· Understand and utilize tools for set up and layout work
· Proficient with hand and automatic torches, MIG, TIG, and brazing, automatic welding, rotators, Bug-O’s etc.
· Familiar with N.D.T. including U.T. and M. T.
· Proficient in bore build-up, structural repair, and crack repair
· Able to run sub-arc when required
· Able to perform light machining, utilizing drills, taps, etc.
· Proficient in welding and cutting of all types
· Proficient understanding of metallurgy and its application to welding
· Possess appropriate tools per the Welder Tool List
· Willing to perform mechanical work when required
· Possess strong customer relations skills
· Exposed to construction and mining equipment through technical trade schools, on-the-job training, or practical experience as a field welder
· D1.1 AWS welding test
· MSHA certification or ability to obtain
· Ability to climb equipment steps and ladders
· Prolonged walking and/or standing on a concrete floor in a shop or in the field
· Exposure to extreme weather conditions, dirt, grease, dust, noise and other elements
· Hands for simple grasping, pulling, pushing and fine manipulation
· Use feet frequently in repetitive movement
· Frequent bending, squatting and climbing
· Work in any position on a piece of equipment and the stamina to torque a series of bolts
· Lift up to 50 lbs
This job description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described and may be amended at any time with or without notice at the sole discretion of the Employer. Wyoming Machinery Company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
In the United States, you can also text “dealertechjobs” to 97211.
Anywhere in the world you can search for jobs on your local Cat dealer website. Click “Find Dealer”