The Master Equipment Technician is responsible for independent diagnosis, failure analysis, and repair of all equipment. This role requires an Associate’s Degree from an accredited vocational school or comparable work experience and a minimum of five years’ working on heavy equipment in a Caterpillar or similar environment with hydraulic, engine and powertrain experience.
• Troubleshoots various machines at expert level with no assistance required. Walks around machinery to inspect. Operates machinery to locate problem. Diagnoses problems for quality control. Performs independent failure analysis, proving consistent abilities to determine and repair cause of failure.
• Gives diagnosis to Service Writer. Works with Service Writer to achieve an appropriate estimate.
• Gathers parts needed for repair, using parts book to accurately determine correct parts required for the job. Communicates required repair parts to Parts Consultant.
• Uses technician tools, including but not limited to: service manuals, operations manuals, SIS Web STW and parts books effectively to address technical issues.
• Advises/mentors Technicians levels I, II, and III with troubleshooting, diagnosing, and quality control.
• Leads and directs others as required in absence of Lead Technician.
• Performs all required tasks in accordance with printed procedures.
• Requests another technician to conduct quality control review of repaired machine.
• Writes service report for every machine repair in detail. Prints off hardcopy of service report with work orders and saves to server.
• Assists other technicians on large repairs.
• Handles all customer inquiries in a prompt and professional manner.
• Adheres to all customer care standards.
• Actively cares and advocates safety at Western States. Adhere to all applicable safety policies, procedures and standards.
• May accomplish training and serve as a team member in support of Western States’ strategic programs, projects, and initiatives.
• Work within and promote corporate vision, mission, and values of the organization.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Expert-level specialization and proven ability to troubleshoot and diagnose all CAT machine systems.
• Ability to lead and direct others, determining work priorities and assigning work to others.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office recommended.
• Ability to learn and use computer systems (ET, STW, Parts Integration, SIS Web).
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others.
• Consistent attendance and timeliness.
• Ability to work overtime with little or no notice.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Proof of high school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
• Associate Degree from an accredited vocational school preferred or comparable work experience required.
• Five years minimum experience working on heavy equipment in a Caterpillar or similar environment with hydraulic, engine and powertrain experience required.
• Disassemble, assemble, remove and install machine components, and systems experience required.
• Must be able to communicate (speak, read, comprehend, write in English).
• Must be able to stand for long periods of time along with walking, sitting, climbing stairs, reaching, pushing, pulling, leaning and twisting.
• Able to lift up to 50 lbs in accordance with Western States’ Lifting Safe Work Practice to include amount and approach.
• Must be able to meet all safety requirements for applicable safety policies.
• Exposure to extreme temperatures and environment.
• Exposure to high noise level.
• Exposure to fumes.
In the United States, you can also text “dealertechjobs” to 97211.
Anywhere in the world you can search for jobs on your local Cat dealer website. Click “Find Dealer”