Prepares and/or reviews tax returns; Assists in sales and use tax audits; Researches the proper interpretation of various sales and use tax issues; Provides direction and training in the proper application of sales and use tax laws; Assists in developing recommendations for process improvements; Performs other duties as needed, such as ad hoc financial analysis, process redesign, compliance reviews, accounting reconciliations and reporting. Communicates with senior leadership on a regular basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Ensures that the organization accurately complies with periodic tax payments, information reporting, and other taxing authority requirements.
• Examines accounts and records and computes taxes owed according to prescribed rates, laws, and regulations.
• Organizes and maintains tax records and conducts tax studies and special projects.
• Assists with ongoing self-audits in order to maintain compliance with sales and use tax laws.
• Researches tax rules and regulations, and applies to daily tasks or projects.
• Periodically updates sales tax rates on organization’s sales tax tools, and software.
• Provides hands on training to company employees regarding proper sales and use tax procedures.
• Assists in implementing effective company-wide procedures, to maintain compliance with sales and use tax laws.
• Creates and installs databases containing tax records.
• Advises management and other internal employees regarding effects of business activities on taxes, and on strategies for minimizing tax liability.
• Communicates with senior leadership on sales tax requirements, tax statuses and other accounting areas as needed.
• Maintains and supports a safe work environment.
No direct reports. Must be able to provide direction and training in the proper application of sales and use tax laws to other Quinn employees or consultants.
Education and/or Experience - A bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field required. Prior sales tax experience preferred. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. Must be organized and responsible for meeting all deadlines throughout the year.
Behavioral Skills - Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex technical journals, tax codes, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
Technical Skills - Ability to apply mathematical concepts and operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, and factor analysis.
Reasoning Ability - Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Accounting software; Database software; Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software. MS Excel advanced level skills required.
Other Qualifications - Must be able to travel up to 5% of the time, with the possibility of an overnight stay. Must be able to train employees on complex sales tax regulations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
CPA or potential CPA candidate desirable.