SUCCESS AT WESTERN STATES: Western State’s culture is based on passion for our Vision, Mission, and VALUES. We are fiercely committed to SAFETY and sending every employee, safely home, every day. We strive for EXCELLENCE in all we do and are proud to be a “play to win” organization. We act with INTEGRITY in each and every decision we make. Our People and TEAMWORK drive a fun and engaging culture. We are ACCOUNTABLE as individuals and as an organization.
JOB SUMMARY: The SITECH Field Service Technician repairs machines to the customer’s satisfaction in the field, shop or customer’s location. Removes, installs, repairs, disassembles, assembles, performs failure analysis of all Caterpillar equipment including electrical systems, hydraulics, and electronic and computer applications.
- Conducts necessary equipment performance and diagnostic tests, interprets results and makes an independent decision as to the extent of repair.
- Uses troubleshooting methods to repair and diagnose equipment and attachment failures and performs repairs
- Escalates unresolved issues to Technical Communicators for further research and assistance.
- Adapts knowledge of Caterpillar and Trimble machine systems to troubleshoot and repair new equipment models.
- Performs work in the field, shop, or at customer locations which can include overtime and overnight assignments.
- Repairs machines without error and consistently repairs machines within the time requirement guidelines.
- Repairs warranty and service letter issues efficiently and as soon as possible.
- Uses web based STW, SIS, and ET effectively to address technical issues. Performs all required tasks in accordance with outlined procedures.
- Conducts business professionally. Maintains self control and integrity in stressful situations. Maintains a professional image.
- Adheres to all customer requirements while on job site.
- Orders parts required to complete repairs. Evaluates parts to determine reusability and cause of failure.
- Completes service reports, time entry, and all other paperwork and reporting on a laptop and submits them daily via e-mail.
- Communicates machine issues, problem resolution plan(s) and status of repair(s) to customer during repairs.
- Adheres to all customer care standards.
- Actively cares and advocates safety at Sitech and Western States. Adhere to all applicable safety policies, procedures and standards.
- May accomplish training and serve as a team member in support of Sitech’s and Western States’ strategic programs, projects, and initiatives.
- Work within and promote corporate vision, mission, and values of the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to self-schedule and perform duties with minimal supervision required.
- Knowledge and use of Microsoft computer products or other comparable systems required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others to include customers, vendors, employees and the public.
- Knowledgeable in machine electrical systems, and electrical troubleshooting.
- Knowledgeable Caterpillar machine systems.
- Ability to work overtime with minimal notice required.
- Ability to drive for long periods of time and travel away from home as required.
- Consistent attendance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proof of high school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Associates Degree or technical training from an accredited vocational school preferred.
- Five years experience in diagnosis and repair of heavy equipment. Knowledge of scrapers and crawler tractors, loaders, excavators, off highway trucks, required. Caterpillar/Trimble experience preferred.
- Prior experience in troubleshooting methods and systems required.
- Must own required tools.
- Must have acceptable driving record. Must meet DOT requirements.
- Must be able to communicate (speak, read, comprehend, write in English).
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time along with walking, sitting, climbing stairs, reaching pushing, pulling, leaning and twisting.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs in accordance with Western States’ Lifting Safe Work Practice to include amount and approach.
- Must be able to meet all safety requirements for applicable safety policies.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. It is not intended be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this classification.