Track Shop Technicians evaluate, recondition, repair or assemble all undercarriage components for construction and mining equipment. Various levels of knowledge and abilities in the Essential Functions listed below are required and will determine job placement.
Job placement will be based on knowledge, skills, and abilities in accordance with the following guidelines, including prior experience:
· Apprentice: Basic understanding of mechanical tools, fasteners and service procedures.
Experience: Certificate from Technical school, one year of previous heavy equipment experience,
or possess a strong mechanical aptitude.
· Shop: Can troubleshoot and function as a technician with little to no direction and/or assistance. Experience: Minimum one year of previous undercarriage experience, identify different types of tracks and able to evaluate repair options.
· Master: Complete understanding and the advanced ability to troubleshoot, evaluate, recondition, repair or assemble all undercarriage components with no direction and/or assistance. Experience: Minimum six years of previous Caterpillar dealership track experience.
The level of knowledge and performance expectations for all functions and skills will be outlined in greater detail in the Wyoming Machinery Company Employee Development Program.
· Regularly inspects customer tracks, rollers and idlers for repair possibilities visual inspection, determine reusability following CAT guidelines and by the use of measuring equipment to determine life of components.
· Regularly operates track press, roller/idler press, idler, welder, stick welder or any other tools required to repair or recondition undercarriage components.
· Write detailed and accurate service reports stating the nature of the job, cause of failure, and what has been done.
· Work within established flat rate time standards and quality control.
· Must be able to work a rotating shift; to include days, evening and nights.
· Review data from the inspection process to work up detailed, accurate and cost-effective job estimates.
· Review data from the inspection process to work up detailed and accurate parts orders.
· Assist and give hand signals to mobile crane operators.
· Keep a clean and safe work area.
· Service all equipment on a regular basis, as well as do minor repairs on the equipment.
· Work with a positive attitude and a spirit of cooperation.
· Understand and keep current on all service literature made available or supplied by the Company.
· Communicate with customers and Caterpillar representatives.
· Needs to have been exposed to construction and mining equipment thru technical schools, or on the job training.
· Must be able to read and understand English. Read and understand parts books, I.R.M., and special instructions.
· Must have the ability to read and comprehend literature and basic measuring tools and to understand basic arithmetic.
· Must be able to write meaningful and legible service reports.
· Ability to manipulate control knobs is required for the machine operation in a safe effective manner.
· Must have the ability to measure tracks, rollers and idlers to figure percentages worn accurately.
· Must be able to use their ability in a meaningful and productive manner during the course of their daily job assignment.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED
Regularly use, track press, roller/idler press, stick welder, idler welder, hand wrenches, hammers, impact tools, dial indicators, micrometer, parts washers, honing equipment, forklift, overhead hoist, slings, and chains. Work in direct contact with solvents and other degreasing/cleaning agents.
· Prolonged standing and walking.
· Sitting 1-3 hours.
· Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
· Use hands for repetitive fine manipulation, grasping, pushing and pulling.
· Frequently squat, bend and climb.
· Use feet frequently in repetitive movement.
· Work in any position on a piece of equipment with ability to torque a series of bolts.
· Exposure to loud noises, dirt, grime, outside weather conditions, etc.
· Willing to work overtime as needed.
· Willing to work different shifts (day, night swing shifts) depending on business need.
In the United States, you can also text “dealertechjobs” to 97211.
Anywhere in the world you can search for jobs on your local Cat dealer website. Click “Find Dealer”