Used Equipment Manager
The Used Equipment Manager will direct the activities of the company’s Used Equipment and support the team and their activities. The position will also be responsible to align the company’s strategy with Caterpillar, delivering sales goals for the market share, customer satisfaction, and profitability.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field preferred.
- Minimum of (5) years’ experience in used equipment sales and/or rental.
- Minimum of (5) years’ experience in relative management/supervisory role. Formal leadership training within past 3 – 5 years is a plus.
- Familiarity with rules and regulations as it pertains to conducting business outside the U.S. is a plus.
- Operations experience including equipment repair and maintenance management.
- Highly desirable to have Caterpillar dealer used equipment and independent broker contacts.
- Prior work experience desired.
- Proficient computer technology skills, including ability to utilize company authorized software.
- Adds value to the department through recruiting, developing, and motivating a strong operations work force.
- Familiarity with CRM platforms, ideally Microsoft Dynamics.
- Strong analytical, reasoning, and decision-making abilities.
- Ability to recognize and manage confidential and sensitive materials in a secure manner.
- Actively participates with and supports the sales department.
- Provides department staff continuous and timely support through feedback, problem solving and development opportunities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills.
- Monitor, analyze and adjust the department focus for continuous improvement of operations, functions, systems, resources, and internal and external customer service.
- Department has dual responsibilities, supporting used equipment activities within Thompson Machinery’s territory as well as its own out-of-territory sales business.
- Must work cooperatively with Regional Sales Managers, Sales Representatives and Rental Managers.
- Develop and meet annual sales budget for both in-territory and out-of-territory sales.
- Manage and hold accountability for department financials – revenue and expenses.
- Search for, locate and purchase used equipment for the company.
- Oversee trade-in process to maximize efficiencies throughout the trade-in cycle.
- Manage and approve repair and make-ready process and expense for used equipment.
- Maintain relationship with Cat Finance Remarketing Dept. for used machine options/lease returns.
- Manage, set, and maintain used inventory sale prices.
- Participate in roll-out process of rental fleet inventory, including collaboration with the Rental Dept. for price expectation.
- Participate with and actively support the sales and rental department team.
- Manage, develop, and grow department personnel.
- Grow the department’s customer base through the sales team and developing relationships with the market’s principal customers.
- Develop a revolving three-year plan which estimates market demand and provides the requirements and plans to increase the company’s share of the used equipment market.
- Be familiar and monitor all major competitors, keeping Vice President aware of significant information concerning competitive inventories, sales force, strengths, and other pertinent information.
- Plan, organize and communicate responsibilities and priorities to ensure the successful operation of the department.
- Organize, communicate, and delegate responsibilities and priorities to ensure the successful operation of the used equipment sales department.
- Provide regular and timely feedback that recognizes performance, motivates employees, and promotes self-development.
- Communicate with and coach employees on assignments, providing technical sales training, as necessary.
- Select, train, and develop employees consistent with department/division goals.
- Reports to Vice President of Sales
- Physically attend regional auctions as deemed appropriate.
- Develop and maintain strong inter-company working relationships to ensure optimum cooperation and support.
- Develop and maintain mutually beneficial working relationships with the department’s manufacturers and suppliers.
- Meet department’s reporting and administrative requirements in a timely and professional manner.
- Ensure that used equipment sales paperwork is processed in a timely, complete, and accurate manner.
- Assist in forecasting product sales volumes, direct expenses, profit levels and capital expenditures annually.
- Provide a challenging environment that encourages teamwork and self-development.
- Assist sales personnel to achieve their budget and goals consistently.
- Know and follow all Company and customer safety rules, including maintaining a safe, clean, and orderly work area, fully participating in Company accident prevention and safety improvement activities.
- Must have the physical ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including protective glasses, protective gloves, and protective clothing and footwear as required by the job.
- Respond to all customer requests in a professional and courteous, timely and responsive manner.
- Maintain a clean, professional personal appearance at all time, meeting all Company standards for professionalism.
- Keep the Manager continually apprised to assist in answering customer questions and problems when necessary.
- Supports the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: honesty, integrity, and respect while delivering high quality solutions and maintaining a positive attitude and a safe work environment.
- Accepts responsibility for mistakes or problems. Maintains “ownership” of assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and a high level of personal credibility and integrity with customers, management, and dealership co-workers.
- Must be dependable. Consistently arrives at work on time when scheduled, fully ready to work.
- Maintain company and product confidentiality.
- Attend and participate in all meetings, trainings, and activities as required.
- Adhere to all Company policies and departmental procedures and rules.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Maintain a clean, safe working environment.
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Must be honest, reliable, and dependable, and display a positive attitude.
- Must be able to work well under occasional pressure or within work standards and deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and/or with others in a team environment.
- Able to work standard five-day schedule, including daily overtime and occasional weekend hours as needed.
- Meet all eligibility requirements to drive Company vehicles, including a current, valid driver's license issued by the resident State, and maintain current motor vehicle liability insurance.
- Pass pre-employment background check, physical exam including drug screen, and meet all physical requirements for the position.
- Able to lift up to 20-50 pounds occasionally.
About the Company:
Thompson Machinery is a Caterpillar equipment dealer serving the middle and west Tennessee and northern Mississippi region. Since 1944, Thompson Machinery has been an industry leader, renowned for superior solutions, lasting relationships, and stronger communities. Serving a broad range of customers in the construction, forestry, mining, industrial, governmental, and agricultural industries, as well as trucking, power generation, and marine businesses, Thompson Machinery is a total equipment solution provider.
Thompson Machinery offers competitive salaries and a complete benefits package.
Compensation for this position will be commensurate with candidate experience and background.
Thompson Machinery is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.